When thinking about building their own house, developers are increasingly preferring two-storey cottages, as this is the best way to expand the living space in a relatively small area.
The construction of multi-storey private buildings is linked to the need for a reliable staircase structure that provides safe movement on the floors. According to specialists and experienced builders, interstory stairs are not only functional, but also a decorative detail of the interior, allowing you to transform the room to unrecognizable.
In this regard, if you are the owner of a country cottage with attic, which is not yet a staircase, it is time to think about its correct layout and construction, the procedure for which will be considered in this material, prepared by our experienced specialists.
Inter-floor staircase: minus factory design
Unobstructed access to the floor can be achieved by purchasing and installing a finished structure, which is characterized by a number of shortcomings.
- High price characteristics;
- The need for additional time to adjust the parameters of the structure, as it often does not match the parameters of the house;
- And, of course, there is always the risk that you will buy a product of poor quality.
- In order not to face serious production defects, we advise you to take advantage of our advice and engage in the manufacture of interfloor stairs with your own hands.
Different types of inter-floor stairs: basic characteristics
Screws are ornate compositions, the construction of which resembles a spiral twisted on the axis. The main purpose of the screw is similar – installation in small rooms, where there is an urgent need to save each square meter. It is important to familiarize yourself with the main design parameters of spiral staircases: according to construction regulations. The size of the stairs to the second floor mainly depends on the area of the room.
Stairs are one of the most common constructions erected during the construction of multi-storey cottages. It represents the basic step design located at an angle of 45 degrees. Flights of marching ramps are also step, thus quantity of steps in one span – to 15 pieces.
Rotating ladders are characterized by a similar design which differs from the previous presence of rotation to 180 degrees. Despite the fact that the design is quite traditional, its manufacture is associated with certain difficulties, and therefore, it is better to entrust it to specialists.
Grand staircases are another variant of marching ladders, the design of which assumes their fastening not on a support, but directly on the wall, and therefore it gets some originality and, at the same time, airiness.
Fundamental information on the safety of staircase structures
Before answering the question: “How to make an interfloor staircase?”, let’s consider the basic safety requirements for staircase structures.
The main concept to be followed in the manufacture of inter-floor staircases is the safety of movement, which depends on the degree of compliance with the optimum size and technical characteristics of the entire staircase structure.
Since the main element that defines its safety is the stairs, it is necessary to properly comply with its basic parameters:
- Gap – horizontally oriented surface, step – vertically. These dimensions are determined on the basis of the angle of the stairs’ ascent;
- To prevent falls and injuries, the optimal angle is considered to be 45 degrees, while the width of the step should be at least 45 degrees. The height of the vertical part of the step should not exceed 10 in;
- Handrails, balusters and poles are an essential element of the staircase, especially those installed in houses where there are children. But if you plan to install a wide gangway, equip it with an additional fence with a wall handrail.
Thus, the basic safety requirements for the inter-floor staircase in a private home are as follows:
- Comfort and reliability of construction;
- Convenient approach;
- Safe and convenient location of handrails;
- Matching the length and height of steps to the length of the step;
- Availability of sufficient lighting.